Eternal Truth Series March - Exercising Agency




Exercising agency in the face of opposition:  Christ will never force himself upon us and will never force us to repent and become like Him.  He will knock, but only we can open the door. We use our agency to choose the focus of our attention, the patterns of our thoughts and actions, and the investments we make in our relationships (God, family, others). In this fallen world, strong faith and good relationships only come by way of consistent effort and focus. There is real opposition, and we must battle to make headway.

Scriptures:

D&C 93:31

  • Doctrine and Covenants
Behold, here is the agency of man, and here is the condemnation of man; because that which was from the beginning is plainly manifest unto them, and they receive not the light. 

D&C 64:18

And now, verily I say that it is expedient in me that my servant Sidney Gilbert, after a few weeks, shall return upon his business, and to his agency in the land of Zion; 

Moses 4:3

Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down; 

D&C 101:78

That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment. 

Moses 7:32

The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency

D&C 29:36

...that Adam, being tempted of the devil—for, behold, the devil was before Adam, for he rebelled against me, saying, Give me thine honor, which is my power; and also a third part of the hosts of heaven turned he away from me because of their agency;
How can we battle opposition?
With consistent daily and weekly faithful connections and patterns. Daily worship through humble prayer, yielding one’s heart, and feasting on the word of Christ are essential. Weekly worship, partaking of the sacrament with purpose, attending the temple, and serving others will assist us in our efforts.

Comments